Tuesday, May 1, 2012

William's story

It's easy to say Kyle and I have become quite smitten with baby William. Since his birth on Wednesday, we have seen him two other times and talk about him quite frequently. Being firstborns, Kyle and I haven't been able to experience what it is like to be an aunt or uncle yet so we are considering this our practice run. While there are a lot of other babies we hold near and dear to our hearts, we do have easy access to baby William (he's about 15 minutes from us) and we are his godparents so I consider our obsession quite normal.

William's mother informed me of his soon to be arrival at 4am Wednesday morning via text when her water broke. Needless to say, I was wide awake after that. It was a long morning. I made my way up to the hospital around noon and found Caroline just as calm, cool and collected as could be. I could tell she was anxious but she looked really good. I was impressed. I spent the day with Caroline's family (dad, mom, sister and brother) along with the daddy to be, Grant. We had a good time catching up, discussing what we thought the baby would look like and commenting on how good Caroline appeared to be doing.


We passed the time each guessing William's weight, length and time of arrival. To tell you the truth though, the day went by pretty fast, especially since Caroline never really had any complaints (thank God for epidurals). Around 2:30 the doctor came to the room and said it was time for William to arrive. We left the room and gave our love to Grant and Caroline.

While in the waiting room we continued to comment on how well Caroline was handling things and discussed what we thought the baby would look like. Once in a while we would walk down to Caroline's room, stand outside the room and listen. From what we could tell, it sounded like things were running pretty smoothly in there.
The best part of the whole day was that Caroline's sister, mother and I got to hear baby William's entrance into the world. Julie and I had never heard a baby's first cry and we were both in awe. The second best part of the day was seeing Caroline's parents reactions to knowing they were officially grandparents. They were beaming with pride. We anxiously waited (2 hours) outside Caroline's door for our moment to meet William as other friends and family gathered. It was worth it.

Grant finally walked out and told us mama and baby were doing good.

After the family got to check William out it was time for friends to visit.


We eventually got Caroline into her own room where she would spend the next two nights. Caroline debriefed us on the delivery (once commenting on how easy things really went...seriously?!) and then she finally got to eat. I think her hunger pains were worse than labor pains.
                            Cake from Olexa's that I got baby William...it was his birth-day

                            Kyle even made his way up to the hospital that evening.

The following evening we came back to the hospital to visit some more with William. Truth be told, I wanted to hold William all by myself without having to share him. Sorry, I'm selfish. My wish was granted and I got to hold William for about an hour without having to share (except with Kyle).

The Davis family of three are now at home. I cannot thank Caroline and her family enough for letting me be a part of that special day. I am looking forward to seeing William grow up and excited to see what his personality will be like. One thing that I am certain of...there are a lot of people who love this little baby.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for baby William! I heard his first cry too! :) Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete