Sunday, November 6, 2011

Beach Trip Part 2 (Day of the Dogs)

And our journey continues. The second day of our trip we actually had morning plans. I found out a couple of months ago that Seaside had an activity planned the weekend we would be at the beach and as soon as I saw the advertisement I knew we would HAVE to be there. That's right people, we went to Seaside's 2nd annual HalloWEENER Derby.
This was right up my ally because I love weenie dogs. I think they are just too cute! We got up bright and early and headed over to Seaside and boy was it chilly. Basically, the race was THE cutest thing I've ever seen. There were weenie dogs running all over the Seaside amphitheater. 
Before the race, the dogs were given a chance to do a practice run on the course.
Then it was time for the race. There were different rounds then a final race between the two fastest weenies. The weenie owners would stand on opposite ends: one would release the weenie (at the start) and the other would stand at the finish line encouraging the weenie to cross. Seriously, the races were hilarious. Some of the dogs would just stand there, some would run the opposite direction and there were even a couple who would get right up to the finish line and turn around. There were however some weenies that were hauling booty.
If you were wondering how to make a crowd full of people extremely happy your solution is a bunch of weenie dogs running with their ears flapping in the wind.

We really loved the race and would encourage others to attend next year. I was kind of surprised at the amount of weenie dogs there. I would say around 15 to 20 weenies. In case you are wondering what's up with the weenie dog obsession at Seaside, the weenie dog is actually one of the emblems for Seaside; specifically it's the mascot for the popular Seaside restaurant, Bud & Alley's. Bud is a weenie dog and Alley is a cat. Bud obviously has become the popular one.
After the race, we spent the morning wondering around Seaside. The weather was beautiful, we didn't have anyone telling us where to be, so we did what we wanted.

We even made our way out to the beach. I know it might be a little cliche to like Seaside but hey, the place has its perks.
         Kyle reminded me this was the walkway to the beach we used when we got engaged.

At this point, you're probably expecting a couple shot of us on the beach. With no one around, Kyle decided to use the camera timer and place the camera on top of one of those posts. Fail. The camera took a nose drive into the sea oats leaving us (praying) hoping the thing worked. This is one of the test shots he took to see if things were clicking. It cracks me up! This is my "Kyle, i really do love you but if you broke our camera I'm not going to be happy face." It works now. Thank God. 
We ended our day at Seaside with lunch at Great Southern and then headed to the house for the rest of the day. I spent the afternoon laying out/jamming out to music and Kyle watched football (surprise,surprise).
Towards the end of the day, we took a walk on the beach (aww how romantic), grilled out, drank some vino and watched MORE football.
We found this bottle of wine at the store. I can think of a couple of people (at work) I'd like to purchase this one for.
Overall, we had a great trip to the beach. I only wished we lived closer so we could take advantage of trips like this more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment