Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Quick and Easy Meal

I'm all about the quick and easy meal at our house. While Kyle doesn't expect me to make meals every night of the week, I still like to cook something for dinner. Okay, there is an exception, nights where work makes me want to pull my hair out. I swear some people are out of it but that's a whole different post. Anyway, a couple of nights ago I got home and thought we were going to end up eating sandwiches because I couldn't come up with anything for us to eat and I wasn't going to the grocery. That's when I remembered a dish my mom used to make for us back when I was in high school...shrimp scampi. It's a really simple Southern Living recipe that uses only four ingredients: shrimp, butter, Italian dressing mix and angel hair pasta/spaghetti noodles. I decided to look online for the exact measurements and ran across this jazzed up recipe on Southern Living. We happen to have all of those ingredients so shrimp scampi it was!

Ingredients
  • 1 pound peeled, large raw shrimp (31/35 count) (fresh or frozen)
  • 1 (12-oz.) package angel hair pasta (Spaghetti noodles are okay too)
  • 1/2 cup butter 
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I've never included this ingredient)
  • 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I use minced garlic from a jar)
  • 1 teaspoon salt-free Italian-herb seasoning (I use a whole packet of Italian dressing mix)
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Only use this if I feel like it)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (Only use if we have lemons)
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese (You can use parmesan cheese from a can...no one will judge you)
Preparation
  1.  Devein shrimp, if desired. Or just unfreeze your frozen shrimp.
  2. Prepare angel hair pasta according to package directions.
  3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in Italian-herb seasoning and Worcestershire sauce.
  4. Reduce heat to medium. Add shrimp, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in lemon juice. Toss shrimp mixture with pasta, and sprinkle with cheese. 
  5. Serve immediately.
The first time I made shrimp scampi I used frozen shrimp from Publix. Gasp. Chill out people. It was still good. The second time I made it we happened to have some fresh shrimp. I even peeled and deveined the shrimp myself. Look who is turning into Lila! Kyle was proud. To be honest, the flavor of the butter sauce is so strong you can't tell the difference between the shrimp.

Speaking of butter sauce, I realize this meal isn't the healthiest thing you could serve your family. I suggest this meal on a night where you are craving pasta or just need something really quick to make. We probably eat this dish once every other month if that. Honestly though, I could eat it every week. Sigh.
*Note: this is a salad plate not a dinner plate. Way smaller portion. It's all about the balance. Serve this dish with a salad and you've got yourself a quick and easy meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment