Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Firsts: A Tree

Last week, we went and got our first Christmas tree. I laugh because I think we both had this picture perfect vision of what getting our first Christmas tree would be like. It obliviously did not include saying the ever famous line from the movie The Christmas story about 20 times, “Oooo fudge.” I’m convinced putting up a Christmas tree is a test of your marriage. For me, it was a lesson on how to stay calm and keep the peace despite Kyle’s urge to chunk the tree out the back door (due to the fact the tree wouldn’t stay put in the tree stand) and for Kyle it was a lesson on how to still love me despite my tendency to want everything to be just perfect (especially the Christmas tree). He’s also working on still loving me despite my urge to buy anything and everything Christmassy to decorate our home with… but that’s a whole other post. This all occurred to me while my arm was falling asleep as I was holding the tree up as Kyle tried to get the stand on. I’ll share this text message exchange between my friend, Caroline and I on Saturday. We both love our hubbies to pieces but I seriously couldn’t stop laughing when she texted me this. She’s actually a little bit more OCD when it comes to things like a straight Christmas tree than me. God bless Kyle and Grant. 
The good news is…we survived. Once we got the tree to cooperate it turned out to be a fun night. We both think our tree looks pretty good for our first Christmas tree. We agree that we could have probably put another strand of lights on there and could definitely use more ornaments but overall we like it. I’m sure the Christmas tree is one of many firsts that we will be learning valuable lessons from. Now that I think about it, my parents have been married for 30 years and are still having horror stories with Christmas trees so maybe I have a lot to look forward to…not. We’ve both made a mental note that we’ll probably not get our tree from Home Depot again (despite how cheap it was) due to the fact that we couldn’t really tell what it looked liked all tied up. Hey, the season isn’t even over yet so I’m sure there’s some more “lessons” we’ll be learning. I’ve got it pretty lucky now though…I haven’t had to water the tree yet. I’ve convinced Kyle that’s a man chore. 

So without further adieu here’s the Whittington’s first Christmas tree...

                         Trying to pick one out
                           Found it!!!

          Family Truckster All Loaded Up

                      In the stand...finally
                       Lights on

Ta-da!! Ornaments up! We had a star on top at first but then we switched to a bow.

               Much better
 Our "married" ornaments. The first one is from my parents. The second one is from Grant and Caroline.

The more I look at our tree it really does "grow" on me.

1 comment: